How long will it take to legalize my status in the U.S. through a family member?

How long will it take to legalize my status in the U.S. through a family member? Topic: Mi case status
July 16, 2019 / By Darla
Question: So im 22 years old rite now and im looking to legalize my status in this country.im a college student and work part time. I been living in the U.S since i was 2 years old. My family filed paperwork for us back in 1992 through my father who was a U.S resident at the time. We got approved and got ouR approved letter from immigration but my father got into some kind of problem with immigration and nothing ever happened to our case.the case just froze i guess. after we got approved we never recieved anything else from immigration. he petition my mother my older brother and myself.we all got approved back in 92. so my question is the following my brother who is 27 is becoming a citizen next month and i was wondering how long will it take if he was to petition me???i know usually it takes around 10 years to do so since im over 21 but was wondering if having filed paperwork back in 1992 will help me now??? i still have the letters from immigration saying i was approved. will i be able to get a work permit right away or will i have to wait years before i get anything??? i heard it might take about 3 years to get a greencard but can i get a work permit before that??? if someone can answer these questions i would really appreciate it! thank you and GOD BLESS!!! sd
Best Answer

Best Answers: How long will it take to legalize my status in the U.S. through a family member?

Breann Breann | 3 days ago
There are TWO different types of approval letter, was the PETITION approved or the RELATIONSHIP approved? is the petitioner now a US citizen? what is your current status in the US right now? over stayer? undocumented? expired visa? it all depends on these. It is better you seek advice from an immigration lawyer. Your info is not clear so we can't give you the correct answer. ADD: If your brother petitions you, it will take 16 to 23 years to get you a visa and if you are in the US illegally, you have to go back to your home country first. Like I said, get a lawyer.
👍 194 | 👎 3
Did you like the answer? How long will it take to legalize my status in the U.S. through a family member? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: Mi case status

Breann Originally Answered: Can I still sue a family member?
You could sue her, but I doubt she has any money. You could sue those who haven't protected you from her - family members. That might go somewhere. They should not have let her stay in the home if she was dangerous to you. You would have to show damages - not just your word, but that you needed counseling, medical care, etc. Since you are a minor, you need to have an adult appointed as a guardian ad litem to act on your behalf in the lawsuit. A lot of attorneys might not take the case. You have until you are 19 or maybe 21. Call some lawyers now. If they don't take that kind of case, ask if they know someone who does. But if the people you want to sue have no money, they won't take the case. Since the cops won't do anything, call child protective services to get her removed from your home for your protection.

Alesha Alesha
If your father was not successful in completing the application process, then his petition does not help you. You will have to wait at least 11 years after your brother petitions you. If you are a citizen of Mexico, the wait is 16 years and if from the Phlippines 23 years for sibling petitions. You cannot get any kind of temporary working papers in the meantime. If yu are in the US illegally,you will not be able to get a green card through your brother. Minor children and parents can adjust status from overstayed visas to green cards, but siblings cannot. You should consult an immigration lawyer and give clear and correct details about your family's case.
👍 80 | 👎 -6

Truman Truman
hard to say. your father should consult a good immigration lawyer with whatever his has to show everything that happened with your previous petition before he refiles. it may be possible to get the original filing date credited to a new petition, but there's no way we could tell you that based on what little you have here. In any case, you'll have to prove you deserve it to make it happen.
👍 78 | 👎 -15

Rex Rex
My lady friend and that i have lived at the same time for almost 3 years, yet nevertheless we are getting married in Canada in August. the useful motives for a felony marriage were properly defined the following. it truly is, inspite of the indisputable fact that, more beneficial than that, a lot extra. we favor to make certain to one yet another in a existence-lengthy partnership in the eyes of God and our pals and households, and considering the fact that it says in the marriage service, "let no guy placed asunder"!
👍 76 | 👎 -24

Melville Melville
take all your paperwork to an Aila lawyer sound like you are an illegal in the US therefore will get nothing ... Lawyer first stop
👍 74 | 👎 -33

Melville Originally Answered: What do i do when i can't stand a family member?
It's very hard to either point these things out to people or change things when someone is an elderly person/grandparent. They're supposed to have our respect because of their age and experience, afterall, right? I think it would drive me crazy too though, being around someone as negative as that.. and I am not sure there is too easy a solution. Perhaps try to minimise your time around her, and if there are times when you can't avoid being near her just try to be her antithesis? What I mean by that is try to be as nice and loving as you can, as positive as you can and almost use your niceness as a shield against her own negativity? Good battles evil, heheh. I do wish you good luck, and triumph against ye olde negativity.

If you have your own answer to the question mi case status, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.